(845) 764-9656     |    Schedule Consultation
X (Twitter)
Open/Close Menu World Class Attorneys, Hudson Valley Roots

property taxes
Challenging your New York State property taxes can be a complex process. The attorneys at Jacobowitz and Gubits have extensive experience in challenging real property tax assessments. Our knowledgeable Hudson Valley attorneys have challenged all types of property assessments including industrial plants, apartment complexes, strip malls, condominiums, subdivisions, farmland, and more. We can help you determine if you are paying too much in New York State property taxes.

Contesting your real property taxes is a process that takes time; how long depends upon your decision to challenge a single year or multiple years. You will likely receive a school tax bill before your matter is resolved. If you do not pay the taxes, you will accrue penalties and interest.  To avoid these charges, pay the tax bill in a timely manner.

There are two standards to determine if your property taxes are too high:

1. Over assessment – Your assessment reflects the assessor’s opinion and the assessor assigns a property value greater than its market value.

2. Unequal assessment – Your tax assessment is out of line when compared to assessments of similar properties.

The process begins by first filing a grievance with the Board of Assessment in the municipality where your property is located. You MUST file a grievance to preserve your right to challenge the real property assessment. Now is the time to consider whether you want to challenge your assessment. The deadline to file the grievance is May 23, 2017 for most towns and cities located in Orange County.

If unsuccessful, you can then commence a proceeding in Supreme Court called a tax certiorari to challenge the Board of Assessment Review’s determination. You have thirty (30) days after the tax roll is finalized to commence a tax certiorari proceeding. The paperwork to commence this proceeding is technical. The law requires strict compliance or your case will be dismissed. The attorneys at J&G can prepare the complicated paperwork and will vigorously advocate for you.

We can answer the questions of whether you are over assessed or unequally assessed, typically within 24 hours. This will be at no charge. When you call, be prepared to provide three (3) things:

  1. Your assessed value (the amount of the assessment on your tax bill);
  2. A copy of your most recent tax bill for school, county, town, and village; and
  3. The tax map section, block and lot of the property.
Click here to download “Are You Overpaying Property Taxes?”

Allison G. Cappella, J&GAllison G. Cappella  is an Associate Attorney with the firm and practices Tax Certiorari, Matrimonial and Family Law. She can be reached by phone at 866-303-9595 toll free or 845-764-9656 and by email

Pay your Invoice Credit Cards   

©2023 J&G Law, LLP. All rights reserved.

J&G Law, LLP