Our experienced and knowledgeable Green Team attorneys provide our clients innovative solutions for the complex legal and financial issues that arise as our communities enter into the emerging green economy.
Our land use and environmental practitioners have more than 150 years of experience representing applicants before municipal boards as well as other local, state and federal agencies. Using this experience, J&G Law, LLP, has led green development projects through the approval process by:
- Drafting and amending local zoning laws to incorporate alternative green technologies such as solar and wind power.
- Leading traditional neighborhood developers through the municipal approval process using techniques such as planned unit development and conservation subdivision to create more sustainable development.
- Developing collaborative agreements between government agencies and developers that range from providing protected open space to providing power to government facilities.
- Coordinating environmental quality review.
Companies focusing on green technologies have benefited from the assistance of J&G Law, LLP’s business team. Business efforts have included:
- Protecting green innovations under intellectual property laws.
- Business planning including tax incentives available for utilizing green technology.
- Assisting in the negotiation of business loans to enable your green business to get off the ground.
- Negotiating and preparing contracts and leases associated with the purchase, installation and maintenance of solar and wind turbine equipment.
J&G assists its municipal clients in their comprehensive planning and zoning activities in order to fully take advantage of the benefits of green technologies and sustainable development.
- Identify where and how green technologies can be developed in the community and develop strategies within the comprehensive plan to implement such green technologies.
- Draft zoning regulations that incorporate green building standards and allow the development of alternative energy sources within the community.
- Identify zoning and building code revisions necessary to ensure proper construction of green development.
J&G constantly monitors state and federal funding opportunities to enable our municipal clients to develop projects that conserve energy, promote alternative energy sources, improve, update and modernize existing infrastructure at lower costs to their tax payers.
J&G works with non-profit groups throughout the Hudson Valley on an on-going basis to promote energy conservation and use of alternative energy sources. Our efforts have included: assisting with the promotion of weatherization programs for homeowners to reduce energy costs; working with housing providers building both new construction with green features and retrofitting existing homes; sponsoring and/or hosting events, speakers and programs aimed at educating our attorneys, staff and the public on the environmental and economic benefits of “going green.”
J&G is proud to work with the following organizations in its pursuit of “going green:”
- Regional Economic Community Action Program (RECAP)
- Pace Energy and Climate Change Center
- Orange County Citizens Foundation
- New York State Municipal Bar Association
- New York State Energy Research Development Authority
- Hudson Highlands Nature Museum
- The Solar Energy Consortium
- Sullivan County Partnership
Presentations and Lectures:
Our Green Team has recently researched and made presentations on topics including:
- “Shining Light on Solar Development in New York” – Pace Land Use & Sustainable Development Conference, December, 2017
- “Solar Land Leases 101”, Presented by John Cappello and Borrego Solar, June 2016
- “Planning and Zoning for Solar“, Presented by John Cappello, Orange County Partnership/Alliance for Balanced Growth, May 2016
- “Integrating Green Provisions into Zoning Law in New York State,” Presented by John Cappello, New York State Bar Association Municipal and Environmental Section Joint Fall Meeting
- “How Do We Plan for, Compete and Prosper in a Green Economy: Economical and Environmental Benefits of Green Development,” Presented by John Cappello, April 2009
- “Best Local Planning Practices and Tools Available for Reducing Sprawl by Developing Walkable Communities Around Transportation Hub,” Presented by John Cappello, May 2008